Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Best Corn Bread

I found this recipe on the back of Lamb's brand corn meal but I tweaked it, so I'm claiming partial credit. I adapted the recipe by using yogurt instead of milk, using honey instead of sugar, and coconut oil of course. The finished product is more dense than their version, but I like how moist it is. I also obsess over the mild coconut flavor, and it is delicious with chili. Sometimes I also add ground flax seed for an additional binding agent and for the omega 3-benefits.

Stir together all dry ingredients.
1 cup Lamb's stone ground corn meal
1 cup flour (unbleached)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground flax (optional)

Add :
2 eggs
1 cup milk of choice
2 tbsp honey

Stir into dry mixture but be careful not too over mix.

Add while mixer is on:
melted 1/2 cup coconut oil
Note: when you stir it all together in your mixer, your dough will be stiff but that's fine.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour batter into a greased 8x8 glass baking dish (I like to grease with coconut oil). Place pan in oven and cook for 30 min until fully baked. Top of cornbread will be slightly brown and firm to the touch. While bread is hot, spread butter or coconut oil over the top.







1 comment: